Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Christian Life

The hardest part about Christian life isn't going to church and facing lots of holy people, even when you don't feel very holy yourself. These are challenges of course. It is so much easier to be a Christian on your own, without having to account to others how you are leading your life.

But I digress. I think the hardest part about being a Christian is obeying God's commands which run totally contrary to our own instincts. Like, loving your enemies, do not take revenge. And worst of all, forgive as God forgives us. These commands are enough to make anyone run away screaming. They seem so impossible!

Yet today I shall choose, or try to choose, to follow them. God, just help me to forgive those I hate, who let me down. Show me that your Grace is sufficient for me, show me what it means to 'overcome evil with good'.

I think the only way out is by prayer - not the lame rehearsed words uttered before bedtime - prayer as in Gethsamene, when Jesus had sweated blood. I choose to pray even when I think they don't deserve my prayer, or any prayer. Then, let me see that miracles do happen.

No comments: